Epic Card Game™
2016 World Championship Qualifier @ Pandemonium Books and Games
Saturday May 21st 2016, #EpicQ
Format and Rules
Preliminary Rounds – “Random 60”
Players are required to bring (or purchase) a set of Epic Card Game and one of each Tyrants expansion pack. Players will get to use 60 of those cards, randomly selected from the set of 168 cards in the two sets. Of those cards, players will build a 30 card deck, which they use for the preliminary rounds.
Each round, players will be paired with an opponent with the same number of wins. Matches will be two-out-of-three.
After several rounds of play, the eight players with the best record advance to the playoffs. (The number of preliminary rounds will be based on attendance.)
Playoff Rounds – “Dark Draft”
The playoff rounds are single elimination, played best two-out-of-three games, using our Dark Draft format.
Dark Draft begins with a shuffled collection of Epic cards from both the base game and Tyrants. Each player is dealt five cards from the draft stack, and they choose one of those cards to go into their decks, and pass the remaining four to their opponent. Then, each player chooses two other cards to go into their decks, and pass the final two cards to a discard pile of cards no one uses. Now each player has three cards in this deck. Repeat this process again and again until players have thirty cards in their deck. Put the leftover cards away, shuffle these decks, and play!
The playoff rounds are played best two-out-of-three with the higher-seeded player choosing to go first or second in a game three (if necessary).
- 1st place player becomes qualified for the 2016 Epic World Championship, meaning they will win at least $500 at the Championship and have a chance to win $25,000 and become the first Epic World Champion. Only 64 people will qualify for this event and they will split $100,000 in cash prizes!
- 1st place also receives a promo card set, a limited-edition Sea Hydra playmat, and a limited-edition Raging T-Rex card storage box, and an Elder Greatwurm prize card.
- 2nd place wins a promo card set, a limited-edition Sea Hydra playmat, and a limited-edition Raging T-Rex card storage box, and an Elder Greatwurm prize card.
- 3rd and 4th place each win a limited-edition Sea Hydra playmat, a limited-edition Raging T-Rex card storage box, and an Elder Greatwurm prize card.
- 5th through 8th place each win a limited-edition Raging T-Rex card storage box and an Elder Greatwurm prize card.
- 9th through 16th place each win an Elder Greatwurm prize card.
- Everyone who enters receives a Teleport participation prize card.
|Top 16 Prize Card
Entry Fee, Registration, and Requirements
It costs $20 to enter this qualifier. We only have 80 guaranteed seats available, secure yours today by preregistering through our online store. Online registration ends when supplies are gone, or on May 20th 2016 at 6pm EDT.
On-site registration will begin when the store opens.
In order to compete, players will be required to read, agree to, and sign a Consent and Release Form at the event. Players must be 18 years or age, or between the ages of 13 and 17 with a parent’s signature on the release form.
Depending on space and availability, we may run casual constructed events after 3pm.
Frequently Asked Questions
If I win the tournament, do I get cash at the event?
No – money prizes are awarded after the World Championships this fall. (This means that getting to the event will be your responsibility.)
Does the $20 entry fee cover the cost of getting the game?
No – you must either bring your own copy of the game and Tyrants expansion or purchase it from the store the day of the tournament (while supplies last).
Are Tyrants required for this event?
Do you have a question not answered here? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.