Epic Card Game™
Epic Grand Qualifier @ Pandemonium Books and Games
Saturday April 15th 2017, 10:30am signup, $30 entry fee
Format and Rules
Preliminary Rounds – “Random 60”
Players are required to bring (or purchase) a set of Epic Card Game, one of each Tyrants expansion pack, and one of each Uprising expansion pack. Players will get to use 60 of those cards, randomly selected from the set of 216 cards in the three sets. Of those cards, players will build a 30 card deck, which they use for the preliminary rounds.
Each round, players will be paired with an opponent with the same number of wins. Matches will be two-out-of-three.
After several rounds of play, the eight players with the best record advance to the playoffs. (The number of preliminary rounds will be based on attendance.)
Playoff Rounds – “Dark Draft”
The playoff rounds are single elimination, played best two-out-of-three games, using our Dark Draft format.
Dark Draft begins with a shuffled collection of Epic cards from both the base game, Tyrants, and Uprising. (These cards will be provided for the event.) Each player is dealt five cards from the draft stack, and they choose one of those cards to go into their decks, and pass the remaining four to their opponent. Then, each player chooses two other cards to go into their decks, and pass the final two cards to a discard pile of cards no one uses. Now each player has three cards in this deck. Repeat this process again and again until players have thirty cards in their deck. Put the leftover cards away, shuffle these decks, and play!
The playoff rounds are played best two-out-of-three with the higher-seeded player choosing to go first or second in the first game.
- 1st place and 2nd place players both become qualified for the 2017 Epic World Championship. (There each of them will win at least another $500, and have a chance to win $25,000 and become the second Epic World Champion.)
- 1st place also wins $200, receives a promo card set, a limited-edition Sea Hydra playmat, and a limited-edition Raging T-Rex card storage box, and a promo prize card.
- 2nd place also wins $150, receives a promo card set, a limited-edition Sea Hydra playmat, and a limited-edition Raging T-Rex card storage box, and a promo prize card.
- 3rd and 4th place each win $125, a limited-edition Sea Hydra playmat, a limited-edition Raging T-Rex card storage box, and promo prize card.
- 5th through 8th place each win $100, a limited-edition Raging T-Rex card storage box and a promo prize card.
- 9th through 12th place each win a promo prize card.
- Everyone who enters receives a participation prize card.
- (Cards and playmats subject to change due to availability.)
Entry Fee, Registration, and Requirements
It costs $30 to enter this qualifier. We only have 80 guaranteed seats available.
On-site registration will begin when the store opens.
In order to compete, players will be required to read, agree to, and sign a Consent and Release Form at the event. Players must be 18 years or age, or between the ages of 13 and 17 with a parent’s signature on the release form.
Depending on space and availability, we may run casual constructed events after 2pm.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the $30 entry fee cover the cost of getting the game?
No – you must either bring your own copy of the game, Tyrants sets, and Uprising sets or purchase them from the store the day of the tournament (while supplies last).
Are Tyrants and Uprising required for this event?
Do you have a question not answered here? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.